Frequently Asked Questions

If I apply for the Office of Study Abroad Scholarship, am I committed to the study abroad program?

No. If an applicant is chosen to receive the scholarship, funding will only be released when the program payments are paid.

Is the $500 program deposit refundable?

No, the program deposit is non-refundable. Please see the policy on withdraw:

How do I pay my installments for my summer study abroad program?

Student may go to Student Accounts to pay installments for summer programs. The Office of Study Abroad does not need the receipt for installment payments. Late payments may incur charges from the Office of Student Accounts.

Can I extend my program and stay overseas on my own?

Yes, please talk to your program leader to make sure this is acceptable. Once the program ends, you are no longer a part of the UCA study abroad. Therefore it is up to the individual to book arrangements and extend insurance.

The Office of Study Abroad will also need to know if you have plans to stay beyond the program end date.

How will my GPA be affected by study abroad?

Participants of Faculty Led programs receive a letter grade. Language Immersion and semester exchange participants receive CR (Credit) so GPA is not affected.

Will Study Abroad help with the passport application process?

We have applications for passports in our office. You are welcome to ask us for assistance. You may apply at the post office on Hogan. Students are encouraged to apply months in advance.

May I travel independently with a program outside of UCA and transfer credit in?

Students can study abroad with programs that are not through UCA however the process of transferring credit is between the student, the department and the Office of the Registrar. Please see the Office of the Registrar for more information.

May international students study abroad with UCA programs?

If you are at UCA studying on an F-1 visa, yes you can!  Recently international students have participated in summer study aboard programs, but can also participate in programs during the semester.  International students need to check the visa requirements of the country where they will be studying.  Students also must make sure they know how to maintain their F-1 visa status so they can return to UCA to complete their degree programs.  As you start to plan for study aboard, one of your first stops should be at International Engagement to learn what you must do to maintain your F-1 visa status.

What if I received a scholarship or financial aid for travel?

Program payments are independent of financial aid disbursement schedules. Program participants are responsible for all payments by the posted deadline regardless of the time funds are released.

How do I accept the Office of the Study Abroad scholarship?

By paying the $500 deposit, you accept the scholarship. You may apply for the scholarship again if you are unable to study abroad. There is no option for deferment.

What  is the program does not have enough interest  and the program does not “make” enrollment?

Students will receive the $500 deposit back if requested. Students may be offered another program option.

Is trip cancellation available for purchase?

Students may purchase coverage. Please read details below and email the office to enroll.

Trip Cancellation (Optional)

When is the payment deadline for summer tuition?

The deadline for May Intersession and Full Summer Term 2017 is Friday, May 12, 2017. For more information:

What is the cancellation policy for UCA Study Abroad programs?

Cancellation Policy

Other than studying abroad, what other international opportunities are available for students?

There are many student programs available at the U.S. Department of State for those currently pursuing high school, college or post-graduate degrees. For more information:

How can I get involved in studying abroad as a high school student?

One way to get involved in studying abroad while still in high school is through the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Abroad program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. The YES program offers American high school students and recent graduates full scholarships to study for one academic year in countries with significant Muslim populations. For more information about program opportunities, scholarships, and eligibility: