Student Conduct Procedures and Sanctions

What happens if I violate university policy?

If a violation occurs in university student housing and is not serious in nature, you will most likely appear before a housing administrator or housing judicial board for a disciplinary hearing.

If a violation occurs outside of student housing or is serious in nature, you will most likely appear before the dean of students or other hearing officer, or before a university judicial panel.

If you appear before a judicial board or panel for a formal hearing, you may have an advisor and/or witnesses attend the hearing.  You will need to inform them of the date, time and location of the hearing.  The advisor can be anybody – friend, faculty or staff, parent, attorney, etc.  The role of the advisor is to provide you with advice during the hearing.

Disciplinary hearings are closed to the public, and disciplinary record information is basically confidential.  Few individuals have access to student disciplinary records.  Records are covered by the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (known as FERPA).

If you are found to be in violation of university policy, disciplinary sanctions can include one or a combination of the following:

  • Disciplinary warning or probation.
  • Relocation from one housing unit to another, or removal from student housing.
  • Counseling, anger management, or attendance at an educational seminar.
  • Alcohol or drug education program.
  • Other educational projects including research paper or other assigned project.
  • Community service or work project.
  • Restitution for theft or damages.
  • Restriction of activities including limited visitation, restriction from participating in campus activities, and/or ban from campus facilities.
  • Parent notification for entering freshmen for alcohol or drug offenses.
  • Suspension or expulsion from the University.

Students who fail to complete educational sanctions are assessed a disciplinary fee, plus they must still complete the assigned sanction.