Engaging Students in Scientific Practices through Science and Literacy-
For Teachers Teaching Grades 2-6
Get firsthand experience with the instructional approach offered by the Seeds of Science/Roots of Reading® integrated science and literacy program. This workshop, led by the experienced team of professional developers from The Learning Design Group at the esteemed Lawrence Hall of Science at U.C. Berkeley, will lead you to:
- Dig deep into materials that can help you engage students in core practices of science articulated in the Arkansas framework as well as in the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Learn new ways to use complex text and enact literacy instruction envisioned by the Common Core ELA Standards.
- Explore evidence that the Seeds/Roots approach benefits all students
8:30 Breakfast and networking
9:00 Science and Literacy Integration
- Setting the context for science/literacy integration in the era of standards reform
- Planets and Moons Model sequence and introduction to the Guiding Principles of integration
12:15 Unit implementation and Focus on Disciplinary Literacy
- Connections between CCSS, Arkansas Frameworks, and NRC Frameworks