Complete SURF applications are due in Cayuse424 by Friday, October 23, 2015 for approval routing. Print outs of all documents listed in the "Application Checklist" below must also be hand delivered to Sponsored Programs in Torreyson West, Ste. 324 on this date.
Benefits to Students
SURF provides undergraduates an opportunity to develop a sustained relationship with a faculty member (over the course of one, two, or three semesters) to carry out in-depth research, scholarship, or creative projects. The amount of money available for travel and supplies for students is based on the number of semesters the project will require as follows:
- Summer = $1250 plus $750 for travel
- Spring & Summer = $2,500 plus $750 for travel
- Spring & Fall = $2,500 plus $750 for travel
- Spring, Summer, and Fall = $2,500 plus $750 for travel.
Additionally, because SURF grants are offered by states across the nation, SURF awards are more highly prestigious than other types of scholarships and can give students a competitive edge in the marketplace and when applying to graduate schools.
To be eligible, students must have completed 30 or more hours of credit toward their degree, have a minimum GPA of 3.25, and be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien.
Research, scholarship, and creative projects from any discipline are considered eligible.
First-year students who are not yet eligible should consider planning for next year’s opportunity by writing a short synopsis of a project they wish to undertake and asking potential faculty mentors for guidance in developing a proposal.
- SURF cover page (signed by mentor and institutional official, Dr. Stephanie Bellar, UCA Dean of the Graduate School and Research)
- Mentor form and mentor's vita (2 page maximum)
- Student form and student vita (2 page maximum)
- Current sealed, official transcript from the Registrar's office and listing of current semester classes
- One-page summary of proposed research
- Description of proposed research (maximum of 5 pages, doubled spaced)
- Budget and budget justification forms from ADHE SURF application package
- UCA Budget Spreadsheet
- Letter of support from mentor
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members
Information and Forms
We will provide a link to the 2015 forms once they are made available on ADHE's website.
In the meantime, please view Dr. Stephen Addison's informative presentation on SURF eligibility and guidelines, from Fall 2012.
SURF Workshop 1: Writing the Project Description
Thursday, September 10, 2015
1:40-2:30 p.m. (X-Period)
Torreyson West 337 (the Graduate Dean’s Conference Room)
Presenter: Jennifer Deering, Grant Writer
SURF Workshop 2: Understanding the Budget
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Torreyson West 337 (the Graduate Dean’s Conference Room
Presenters: Kim Ashley-Pauley, Research Administrator
Beryline Temples, Senior Research Administrator