STudent OPportunitieS Database (STOPS)
Any Arkansas student from the high school to the post-doctoral level can access our STudent OPportunity database called STOPS. Your search for scholarships, internships, fellowships, grants, and travel stipends STOPS here!
If you use our database, we would appreciate your feedback. To help us make STOPS an even better experience, please fill out the STOPS survey.
Student Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF)
According to the Arkansas Department of Higher Education, the "Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program is designed to allow undergraduate students to conduct in-depth research projects in their specific fields of study with the assistance of faculty mentors. To be eligible to apply for these funds, students must have a minimum GPA of 3.25, 30 or more hours of credit toward his/her degree at the time of funding, and the support of a faculty mentor. The student must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien."
UCA has had successfully awarded proposals that range in subjects from "Tracking of Sodium Hydrogen Exchanger (NHE) in Breast Cancer Cells" to "Electronic Media and the New Publishing Industry: Impact of E-Books on the Commercial Market, Academic Research, and Literacy." The professionals in Sponsored Programs can help UCA students prepare the proposal narrative as well as other supplementary documents in addition to creating a budget that follows SURF guidelines. Everything you need to apply is right here.
Information and Forms
- SURF cover page (signed by mentor and institutional official, Dr. Stephanie Bellar, UCA Dean of the Graduate School and Research)
- Mentor form and mentor's vita (2 page maximum)
- Student form and student vita (2 page maximum)
- Current transcript and listing of current semester classes
- One-page summary of proposed research
- Description of proposed research (maximum of 5 pages, doubled spaced)
- Budget and budget justification forms from ADHE SURF application package
- UCA Budget Spreadsheet
- Letter of support from mentor
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members
SURF Workshop 1: Handling the Financial Aspects
Presenters: Sponsored Programs Research Administrators Kim Ashley-Pauley and Beryline Temples
Monday, September 22, 2014
UCA Writing Center
SURF Workshop 2: Preparing the Proposal
Topics include writing the summary, putting together a persuasive project narrative, letters of recommendation vs. letter of support, how proposals are reviewed by ADHE.
Presenter: Sponsored Programs Grant Writer Jennifer Deering
Wednesday, September 24, 2014
UCA Writing Center