Completed SURF applications are due in Cayuse424 by Monday, October 24, 2016 for approval routing. Print outs of all documents listed in the "Application Checklist" below must also be hand delivered to Sponsored Programs in Torreyson West, Ste. 324 on this date.
Benefits to Students
SURF provides undergraduates an opportunity to develop a sustained relationship with a faculty member (over the course of one, two, or three semesters) to carry out in-depth research, scholarship, or creative projects. The amount of money available for travel and supplies for students is based on the number of semesters the project will require as follows:
- Spring only = $1250 plus $750 for travel to present outcomes at a conference
- Spring & Summer = $2,500 plus $750 for travel to present outcomes at a conference
- Spring & Fall = $2,500 plus $750 for travel to present outcomes at a conference
- Spring, Summer, and Fall = $2,500 plus $750 for travel to present outcomes at a conference
Additionally, because SURF grants are offered by states across the nation, SURF awards are more highly prestigious than other types of scholarships and can give students a competitive edge in the marketplace and when applying to graduate schools.
To be eligible, students must have completed 30 or more hours of credit toward their degree, have a minimum GPA of 3.25, and be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien.
Students must have the commitment of a mentor with tenure/track status.
Students cannot have earned a previous bachelor's degree.
Research, scholarship, and creative projects from any discipline are considered eligible.
First-year students who are not yet eligible should consider planning for next year’s opportunity by writing a short synopsis of a project they wish to undertake and asking potential faculty mentors for guidance in developing a proposal.
- Register to apply for SURF.
- SURF cover page
- Mentor form and mentor's vita (2 page maximum)
- Student form and student vita (2 page maximum)
- Current sealed, official transcript from the Registrar's office
- Listing of current semester classes printed out from myUCA
- One-page summary of proposed research
- Description of proposed research (maximum of 5 pages, doubled spaced)
- Reference list (no page limit)
- Budget and budget justification forms from ADHE SURF application package
- UCA Budget Spreadsheet
- Letter of support from mentor
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members
- Register to apply for SURF.
- Complete the two budget forms and the cover page (no signatures, please!) and meet with the Research Administrator of your college: Beryline Temples, College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, or Kim Ashley-Pauley, all other colleges.
- Obtain your letter of support, your letters of recommendation, your transcirpt, and a print-out of your current coursework from myUCA.
- Complete all the documents in the application checklist. Ask your mentor to help you proofread and edit these documents. Grant Writer Jennifer Deering can assist as her time permits.
- Submit completed applications (including the cover page signed by your mentor only) to Sponsored Programs in Torreyson West, Ste. 324 by Monday, October 24, 2016.
- Sponsored Programs will oversee the approval of your application and obtain the Provost's signature for your cover page.
- Your application will be delivered to ADHE by a member of the Sponsored Programs staff.
Please read ADHE's SURF guidelines.
Faculty are welcome to show this Powerpoint in class. Meant to stand on its own, it can also be viewed by students from any computer.
The SURF Handout
Faculty may print out or direct students to this short handout introducing SURF.