For the policy governing this process and for its timeline, see Evaluative Review of Academic Administrators by Faculty and Other Personnel. The process is as follows:
- The Office of the Provost announces the evaluation and makes available a copy of the generic department chair survey instrument on this web site: see Department Chair: Sample Evaluation Form (announcement date: January 15).
- Deans' offices collect department-specific items (updated every four years) and send the following to the Office of the Provost (submission due date: January 31):
- The number of evaluation instruments needed for each department on the list (Personnel invited to participate include full-time faculty, part-time faculty, and non-faculty, non-secretarial personnel [e.g., library paraprofessionals] who report directly to the chair.)
- Department-specific items for each department (These are updated every four years. A department that submitted department-specific items for the survey in 2005, for example, would not revise them until 2009.)
- The Office of the Provost customizes evaluation instruments for each department, prints the number of survey instruments requested, and sends evaluation instruments to deans' offices, who distribute the instruments to the departments (forms available date: February 15).
- Evaluators return the completed evaluation instruments directly to the Office of the Provost (submission due date: March 15).
- The Office of the Provost tabulate responses to the survey and distribute a summary of responses to the department chair evaluated and the dean to whom the chair reports (dissemination due date: April 15). A copy of the summary of responses is maintained in the Office of the Provost. Submitted survey instruments are retained for one year and then destroyed.