Dr. Paige Rose (Instrumental and General)
Dr. Ryan Fisher (Choral)
Requirements for Bachelor of Music Education Degree
The BM degree in music education requires successful completion of 130 hours, including (1) the general education component; (2) degree/licensure requirement in the College of Education; (3) degree requirements in music as listed below; and (4) ensemble experiences as required. Keyboard majors must pursue a choral or an instrumental degree track.
* Applied Music (12-14 hours): Major applied: 10 hours (instrumental) or 12 hours (vocal); recital or project; minor applied: 2 hours.
* Theory (18 hours): MUS 1230, 1231, 1232, 1233, 2430, 2431, 3210 or 3230 or 4210 or 4215.
* History and Literature (9 hours): MUS 1340, 3302, 3303.
* Pedagogy (9-11 hours): Vocal majors: MUS 1141, 1142, 3305, 3306, 4160, 4201. Keyboard majors: MUS 2150, 3305, 3306, 4201, 4202. Instrumental majors: MUS 2150, 2170/2171, 2180/2181, 2199, 3305, 3304 or 3308, 4201. (Instrumental majors must have 1-2 hours of brass class, and 1-2 hours of woodwind class. Brass majors will take 2 hours of woodwinds. Woodwind majors must have 2 hours of brasses. Percussion majors will take 2 hours of woodwinds and 2 hours of brasses.)
* Technology (2 hours): MUS 2210.
* Internships (13 hours): MUS 4140, MUS 4690, MUS 4691
Becoming Eligible for Teacher Education
The first step to become eligible for the teacher education program is to establish an account on the College of Education candidate database. The requirements are as follows:
* Submission of an Admission Affidavit stating that the candidate has never been convicted of any crime that would prevent the issuance of a teaching license.
* A cumulative 2.5 GPA on all coursework attempted. Prior to admission, transfer students with no previous coursework at UCA must also establish a 2.5 GPA in a minimum of twelve semester hours completed at UCA.
* Completion of courses in written communications (WRTG 1310 and 1320), oral communications (SPCH 1300), and mathematics (MATH 1360 or above) with no grade less than a C. The following pre-admission education courses must be completed with no grade less than a C: EDUC 1300 Education as a Profession and EDUC 1220 Education.
* Technology (or successfully complete the Technology Competency Exam).
* Completion of the Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) according current UCA established minimum scores.
* Completion of forty-five semester hours (or in process of completion of 45 hours).
* Submission of two recommendations for admission from UCA faculty (one recommendation must be completed by the instructor of EDUC 1300 or ECSE 3300).
* Candidate interview by the major area faculty with recommendation for admission. Candidates will register for the interview in the Office of Candidate Services and Field Experience.
Deadlines for Entry into Teacher Education Program
* October 1
Final date for the admission interview registration for candidates seeking admission for the spring semester.
* November 1
Final date for completion of all items for candidates seeking full admission for the spring semester.
* March 1
Final date for the admission interview registration for candidates seeking full admission for the summer or fall semester.
* April 1
Final date for completion of items for those candidates seeking full admission for the summer or fall semester.
* July 1
Final date for the admission interview registration for candidates seeking admission for the fall semester.
* August 1
Final date for completion of items for those candidates seeking full admission for the fall semester.