Respondus LockDown Browser is a secure browser for taking exams in Blackboard. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If a Blackboard exam requires that Respondus LockDown Browser be used, the exam won’t be accessible with a standard web browser.
Respondus LockDown Browser should only be used for taking examinations in Blackboard. It should not be used in other areas of Blackboard.
Respondus LockDown Browser provides a custom interface for the Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Macintosh) software that is already installed on the computer. It does not modify an existing copy of Internet Explorer or Safari, but rather, installs a separate program that displays a custom browser when it is started. Respondus LockDown Browser uses the same security features and service packs that are currently installed for Internet Explorer or Safari. Installing Respondus LockDown Browser won’t modify your current version of Internet Explorer or Safari in any way.
To download and install Respondus LockDown Browser, follow these steps:
Respondus LockDown Browser download
Once installed, follow these steps to start Respondus LockDown Browser and to take a Blackboard exam.
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser.(For Windows users, locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. Alternatively, click “Start” in Windows, select “Programs,” select “Respondus,” and then click “Respondus LockDown Browser.”)
(For Macintosh users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- Upon starting, the browser will go to the login page for MyUCA.(A warning message may appear indicating that one or more applications must first be exited, such as an instant messaging application. The browser will offer to close the applications for the user. Alternatively, the browser can be exited and the blocked application can be closed manually before restarting the browser.)
- Log into MyUCA by entering your user ID and Password. Go to the My Courses tab and select the appropriate course. You will then be directed to the Blackboard home page for the course. Navigate to the Assessments link and then select the exam.
- Click the “Begin Assessment” button to continue. (Note: the “Begin Assessment” button will be disabled if any browser other than Respondus LockDown Browser is being used. In addition, the following message will be displayed: “You must complete this assessment using the Respondus LockDown Browser.”)
Once the exam has been started, you will be unable to exit the exam until the “Finish” button is clicked.
Respondus LockDown Student Quick Start Guide
If you are using a Windows Dell machine and you are instructed to close the Dell Dock before using the LockDown browser, this is a floating toolbar that allows you to organize your icons on your computer desktop. If you will right click on the toolbar, not an icon, but the bar itself, you can choose Close the Dell Dock. You can then open the LockDown browser and take your quiz or exam.