Immunizations and Health Care

Watch A Short Video about Immunizations and Health Care in America  Silver-Play-Button_small


Immunization Records

If you have had the MMR any time in the past, please produce documentation from your doctor in English including the dates of your MMR. You may not have to receive the MMR at UCA if you have sufficient evidence of previous vaccination. MMR vaccinations received before your first birthday are not valid. For questions concerning your immunization record, contact the Student Health Clinic at

All international students must receive the following within 90 days of class:

  • 2 doses of an MMR vaccine
  • Receive the T-Spot test
  • Obtain sufficient medical insurance (available through UCA)


Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)

The immunization against Measles, Mumps and Rubella takes place in 2 doses. The first dose will be given to you during orientation. The second dose must be received one month after the initial dose. If you have already received one or both of the MMR immunizations in the past, we need to see an English copy of your immunization records. Please bring an English copy of your immunization records with you to orientation. We do not recommend that you receive the MMR within 30 days before you orientation. This could cause some health concerns if you take two doses of MMR within 30 days of each other. Each dose of MMR costs $60. This cost will be reimbursed (paid back to you) by the insurance company if you receive insurance with Trawick International (see below for more details). However, you will need to pay in cash or credit at the time you receive the immunization. Learn more about the MMR vaccine at

Getting the T-Spot Test

Also during orientation, you will go to the UCA Health Clinic to be tested for Tuberculosis (TB) through a method called the T-Spot. A positive test will not result in your dismissal from UCA, but you will need to receive further tests at an additional cost. In preparation for your T-Spot test, you should drink plenty of water and eat a good meal before your test. Results from the test come back in approximately one week. You will be notified if you have a positive result. If your result is positive it does not mean that you have TB, it simply requires further testing. You will then need to make an appointment for a $25 Chest X-Ray. The Student Health Clinic will schedule an appointment for you to speak with a doctor at the Faulkner County Health Department to receive the results of the Chest X-Ray. Receiving the T-Spot test at the Student Health Clinic is mandatory for your attendance at UCA. The Student Health Clinic will not accept TB test results taken outside the US. If you have received the T-Spot test in the US, you may submit the complete bloodwork analysis to the clinic and they will determine whether or not you need another test.

Medical Insurance

As an international student you are required to purchase sufficient health insurance. UCA offers a great insurance plan through Trawick International. Learn more about the policy and how to waive insurance coverage at


In order to comply with Arkansas law and remain in classes, you will need to receive 2 MMR vaccines ($120, refundable) and get the T-Spot ($50 refundable) within 90 days of your arrival. Failure to do so will result in dismissal. Of course we want you to stay healthy throughout the full course of your stay at UCA, so please, if you have questions or would like more information, please contact us!