Planning Instruction for Online Delivery
Working in a new teaching environment such as the Web may have you wondering "what works best?" It's a great time to rethink your courses and determine how to integrate available technologies and resources, matching them to your course content, learning objectives and student needs. Online education provides the student with "any time/any place" instruction. Unlike the face-to-face, on-campus classroom, eLearning is a method of course delivery unbound by time or location allowing students to access instruction via the Internet 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Effective online education is designed to provide sufficient contact, instruction, evaluation and interaction that makes the online course as effective a teaching/learning experience as a traditional, on-campus course. The following books in the Jossey-Bass Guides to Online Teaching and Learning series are available in the IDC Faculty Library to assist in developing and delivering effective online instruction. For more books or videos about online learning, visit the Faculty Media Library page.
- Conrad, Rita-Marie, and Donaldson, J. Ana. (2004). Engaging the Online Learner: Activities and Resources for Creative Instruction. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Finkelstein, Jonathan. (2006). Learning in Real Time: Synchronous Teaching and Learning Online. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Lehman, Rosemary M. and Conceição, Simone C.O. (2010). Creating a Sense of Presence in Online Teaching: How to "Be There" for Distance Learners. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Coombs, Norman. (2010). Making Online Teaching Accessible: Inclusive Course Design for Students with Disabilities. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Aldrich, Clark. (2010). Learning Online with Games, Simulations, and Virtual Worlds: Strategies for Online Instruction. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Teaching with Technology (face-to-face, hybrid, online)
- Student Technology Skills Inventory (doc) (pdf)
- Relative Advantage Chart for Integrating Technology (doc) (pdf)
- Technology Integration Matrix (web)
- Dustin's Endless List of Web Tools for Teaching with Technology
- LiveBinder - Teaching with Technology (web)
General Resources for Online Teaching
- Checklist for Designing an Online Course (pdf)
- Principles of Online Teaching (pdf) (slides)
- Communication Plan for Online Teaching (pdf)
- Strategies & Activities for Online Collaborative Learning (pdf)
- Matrix - Online Community Strategies (Template) (Example) (Link for Seminar Participants)
Planning for Online Instruction
- A Self-Directed Guide to Designing Courses for Significant Learning by L. Dee Fink, PhD (web)
- Converting Chapters to Modules (doc) (pdf)
- Online Course Outline (doc) (pdf)
- Online Course Planning Matrix (doc) (pdf)
- Learning Guide (doc) (pdf)
Creating Learning Goals/Outcomes
- Article - Developing Effective Learning Outcomes (pdf)
- Resources for Writing Learning Outcomes (web)
- Student Introductions in Online Courses (web)
- Online Icebreakers (web)
- Top 10 Icebreakers for Adults (web)
- Online Teaching Activity Index: Icebreakers (web)
- Icebreaker Ideas (web)
- What Is an Icebreaker and Why Is It Used? (web)
- Icebreakers: Easing Group Contribution (web) (video)
Interactive Multimedia Learning Tools
- Dustin's Endless List of Web Tools for Teaching with Technology (pdf)
- PollEverywhere [http://www.polleverywhere.com]
Closed- and open-response polls and surveys via web or mobile
- VoiceThread [http://www.voicethread.com]
Multimedia collaboration platform (Instructional Applications for Higher Ed | Content-Area Examples)
- Voxopop [http://www.voxopop.com]
Voice-based collaboration, audioblogging, podcasting, etc.
- Wiffiti [http://www.wiffiti.com]
Digital bulletin board for participant response via web or mobile devices
- YouTube [http://www.youtube.com]
Video hosting and sharing
- Online Stopwatches & Timers [http://www.online-stopwatch.com]
- GetBodySmart [http://www.getbodysmart.com]
Interactive tutorials and quizzes for human anatomy and physiology
- Medical Animation Library [http://www.pennmedicine.org/health_info/animationplayer/]
more than 200 animations and explanations of diseases, injuries, and body systems (UPenn Health System)
- Interactive Chemistry and the Periodic Table
Facilitating Online Discussions
- Rubric - Asynchronous Online Discussion Participation (pdf)
- Discussion Forum Guide for Students (pdf)
- Methods for Approaching Discussion Board Facilitation (pdf)
- Sample Critical Thinking Discussion Prompts (pdf)
Collaborative Inquiry Projects
- Google Docs [http://docs.google.com]
- Authentic Assessment Strategies for Online Instruction (pdf)
- Rubric - Discussion Board Participation (pdf)
- Article - MERLOT JOLT - Online Assessment Strategies: A Primer (web)
- #DistEd Chat is a Twitter-based real time weekly chat for anyone involved in eLearning in higher education.