Temporary Typewell Transcriber – UCA Disability Support Services
UCA Disability Support Services
Disability Support Services is recruiting individuals to train as TypeWell transcribers to provide communication access and notes to deaf and hard of hearing students. The trained transcriber will use sophisticated software on notebook computers to listen to class lectures and discussions and rapidly record the information in complete English sentences, to be viewed simultaneously by the student readers. The transcriber will also voice the comments and questions posed by deaf students, as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Types material from spoken lectures and discussions into a laptop computer using sophisticated abbreviation software; locates documents in files when revisions are requested and inserts, deletes, corrects, and emails documents as necessary; rapidly sets up and breaks down equipment in classroom settings and regularly relocates equipment to different locations; operates peripheral equipment such as printers, desktop computers, copiers; maintains equipment and evaluates hardware/software to determine suitability; performs application programming operations (enters specialized vocabulary into software as needed) to assist in the rapid and accurate translation of spoken information into electronic and print materials; identifies and takes corrective action to resolve routine operational problems.
Four years of experience using word processing software; with a minimum typing speed of 60 words per minute; ability to listen to, and rapidly understand, spoken English; ability to restate, rapidly, in correctly formed English sentence, the full meaning of what is heard in classes and meetings.
Required Specialized Skills/Abilities
Excellent listening skills and demonstrated ability to identify essential components of orally presented information; excellent knowledge of English grammar, spelling and academic vocabulary; ability to operate a PC/laptop computer and other peripheral equipment (copier, printer); comfortable working in an academic setting with diverse populations; must be able to work hours that correspond to students’ schedules, including occasional evenings; candidate must also be able to attend training sessions to learn use of specialized abbreviation software program, and transcribing skills. The candidate must be able to commit to at least 1 year of service after training is complete.
At least one year of postsecondary education. Ideally, candidates will possess previous professional or personal experience working with individuals with disabilities, especially individuals with disabilities in the postsecondary environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
1) Applicants must first read about TypeWell at this link http://typewell.com/overview/how-it-works.
2) You must then pass online listening, typing, and grammar tests at the following link: http://user.typewell.com/newtacct.form.
3) After successfully completing the tests, you will be prompted to submit information for a sponsor. Enter the following information:
Sponsor: Brandy Kilpatrick
4) If you receive passing scores on the initial test, Typewell will ask if you wish to send your scores to your sponsor. You cannot proceed in the hiring process until you go into your Typewell account and send your scores to the sponsor listed above.
5) After you receive passing scores on the initial Typewell test, and you have submitted those scores to the sponsor listed above, please send your cover letter and resume to BKilpatrick@uca.edu.
-$8/hour while in training.
-$16/hour (after training) for the first year of service.
-$25/hour after one year of service.
To apply, please contact:
Disability Support Services
201 Donaghey Ave
Student Health Bldg. Ste. 212
Conway, AR 72035
Phone: 501-450-3613 Fax: 501-450-5664
UCA IS AN AA/EOE.