The University of Central Arkansas dedicates itself to academic vitality, integrity, and diversity.
 History of UCA
The University of Central Arkansas was established as Arkansas State Normal School by the General Assembly of Arkansas in 1907, with statewide responsibility for preparing citizens to teach Arkansas children. Summer sessions were started in 1910.
The name of the institution was changed to Arkansas State Teachers College in 1925. By legislative enactment, the Board of Trustees was given authority to grant appropriate degrees. In January 1967, the name of the institution was again changed by the state legislature to the State College of Arkansas, expanding its statewide role to a multipurpose institution. On January 21, 1975, the governor of Arkansas signed a bill granting university status to the institution and naming it the University of Central Arkansas.
The first diploma granted by Arkansas State Normal School was the Licentiate of Instruction, and in 1922 the first baccalaureate degrees were granted. Today the university’s comprehensive undergraduate curriculum comprises more than 81 major programs and 15 different degrees and certificates. A program of study leading to the Master of Science in Education degree was inaugurated in 1955, and the Educational Specialist degree was begun in 1980. Since that time, UCA has developed a variety of high quality offerings in graduate studies, with more than 58 graduate program options and 15 different graduate degrees and certificates, including doctoral programs in physical therapy, school psychology, communication sciences and disorders, and leadership studies. Extension classes were first offered through Correspondence Study courses in 1919–1920 and Study Clubs in 1920–1921. Outreach and Community Engagement, including extended-learning opportunities for undergraduate and graduate credit and in non-credit courses, continues to play an important role in fulfilling the university’s twenty-first century mission.