The College of Education at the University of Central Arkansas, as Arkansas’ premier educator preparation college, is dedicated to providing exemplary programs for the preparation of professional educators, including teacher preparation, educational leadership, school counseling, library media, instructional technologies, higher education student personnel administration, and other related professional fields. With an emphasis on teaching, research, and service, the members of the College of Education, along with their counterparts in supporting programs across campus, demonstrate a commitment to the improvement of educational programs and services by collaboratively working with organizations that have teaching and human development as their mission. The professional education programs in the College prepare professionals who demonstrate the content, pedagogical, and professional knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to help all students learn.
To accomplish this mission, the College of Education:
- Provides programs of study at both the undergraduate and graduate levels based on empirically-supported pedagogical and clinical practices.
- Prepares educators to effectively teach and enhance learning conditions and outcomes for diverse learners.
- Promotes a commitment to understanding and working effectively with children and adults in geographically and culturally diverse settings.
- Employs a faculty who demonstrate excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Establishes a professional environment conducive to both student and faculty growth and development.
- Supports faculty to establish prominence and visibility through state and national professional contributions and to maintain UCA’s prominence as the premier educator preparation institution in Arkansas.
- Maintains and promotes resources such as the Technology Learning Center, the Child Study Center, and outreach programs such as the Mashburn Center for Learning, the Reading Center, the SuperKids Program, the Summer Enrichment Program, and the University Challenge Program.
- The College also promotes on-going professional development for educators through such programs as the UCA College of Education Leadership Institute, National Board Certification for Teaching Standards program, Pre-K Early Literacy Learning Program, and professional development for educators offered through UCA’s Academic Outreach Office and the UCA STEM Center.
The College includes three academic departments and two support units: