The institutional review board is appointed pursuant to those stipulations and guidelines contained in pertinent federal regulations. (45CFR46)
- Ensure compliance by the university with all applicable federal and state laws and guidelines as well as university policy and procedures concerning research with human participants.
- Review, with the authority to approve, require modifications in, or disapprove all research activities involving human participants conducted by university faculty, staff, or students.
- Review, with the authority to approve, require modifications in, or disapprove all research conducted involving university faculty, staff, or students by outside parties.
- Carry this authority out without the influence of any outside party. This ensures decisions are made without conflicts of interest.
The Institutional Review Board is appointed pursuant to those stipulations and guidelines contained in pertinent federal regulations (45CFR46). A good faith effort should be made in the selection of membership to reflect diversity of race, gender, and cultural background.
- The research compliance officer serves as the IRB administrator, a non-voting member.
- The following twelve voting members serving five-year staggered terms.
- (1) One faculty member from each of the academic colleges, of whom at least three regularly conduct or supervise research involving human participants.
- (2) Two at-large faculty members who regularly conduct or supervise research involving human participants.
To fill a vacancy in any of the faculty positions, the research compliance officer will solicit nominations from the dean of the appropriate academic college. The dean will submit the names of two nominees to the research compliance officer. The research compliance officer will forward the two nominees to the provost for final selection and appointment.
- (3) Two non-scientific members shall be appointed by the provost with recommendations made by the director of sponsored programs and the research compliance coordinator. According to 45CFR46.107(c), “Each IRB shall include at least one member whose primary concerns are in scientific areas and at least one member whose primary concerns are in nonscientific areas.”
- (4) Two members not affiliated with the institution shall be appointed by the provost from recommendations made by the director of sponsored programs and the research compliance coordinator. According to 45CFR46.107(d), “Each IRB shall include at least one member who is not otherwise affiliated with the institution and who is not part of the immediate family of a person who is affiliated with the institution.”
- Four alternate faculty members shall be appointed by the provost to serve in an as needed capacity
- The dean of the graduate school and the director of sponsored programs will serve as ex officio, non-voting members of the IRB.
- According to 45CFR46.107(f), “An IRB may, in its discretion, invite individuals with competence in special areas to assist in the review of issues which require expertise beyond or in addition to that available on the IRB. These individuals may not vote with the IRB.”
The provost shall appoint the chair based upon recommendations made by the director of sponsored programs and the research compliance officer. If the chair is appointed from the committee, creating a vacancy, the position will be filled so as to maintain college representation as stated above in “Membership.”
The chair will vote in only two circumstances: 1) to break a tie vote, or 2) when required to establish a quorum.
|Kevin Garrison||2016||CHBS/Physical Therapy||Dean/Provost|
|B. Ling Chen||2018||CLA/English&Asian Studies||Dean/Provost|
|Yuen Chan||2018||COB/Management & Marketing||Dean/Provost|
|Rhonda McClellan||2018||COE/Leadership Studies||Dean/Provost|
|Sunjung Kim||2019||at large||Dean/Provost|
|Ed Powers||2020||at large||Dean/Provost|
|VACANT||Non-Scientific Members||Provost Appointee|
|Chris Bentley||2015||Non-Scientific Members||Provost Appointee|
|VACANT||Non-Affiliated with UCA||Provost Appointee|
|Philip Shell||2020||Non-Affiliated with UCA||Provost Appointee|
|Angel Webster Smith||2017||Alternate, COE/Diversity||Provost Appointee|
|Lisa Ray||Permanent||Alternate, CHBS/Prisoner Issues||Provost Appointee|
|Pamela Ashcroft||2018||Alternate, CHBS/Nursing||Provost Appointee|
|Steve Beal||Permanent||Research Compliance Coordinator||Ex-Officio Non-Voting|
|Stephanie Bellar||Permanent||Graduate Dean||Ex-Officio Non-Voting|
|VACANT||Permanent||Director of Sponsored Programs||Ex-Officio Non-Voting|
Convened meetings of the IRB will usually occur each month during the fall and spring semesters. A majority of the voting members constitutes a quorum, provided however, that one non-scientific member is in attendance for voting to take place.
Page last updated: May 6, 2016