The Center for Community and Economic Development (the Center) is a part of the University of Central Arkansas’ Outreach and Community Engagement Division. The Center manages the Community Development Institute Central, supports Arkansas communities and community developers, and helps represent the university in its community engagement efforts.
To manage the Community Development Institute, provide support and training to Arkansas communities and development professionals, and represent UCA in its community engagement efforts.
The Center is committed to assisting local leaders be effective in their community improvement efforts. To do this, the Center consults with Arkansas communities to provide training and customized services that help leaders assess their current community situation and develop strategies to achieve their community and economic development goals. Staff members are available to serve as a resource throughout the development process.
The Center works with community leaders and organizations throughout Arkansas, including:
- Elected officials and government agencies
- Chambers of Commerce
- Local and regional community/economic development organizations
- Non-profit organizations
- Any individual or organization committed to improving the quality of life and economic vitality of Arkansas communities
The Center strives to develop relationships with leaders and communities that are based on:
- Trust and respect
- Local action that fosters consensus-building, community ownership and empowerment, transparency, and inclusion
- An asset-based approach focusing on local strengths as the foundation for success
The driving principle behind the Center’s work is that community development facilitates economic development.
Center for Community & Economic Development
University of Central Arkansas
201 Donaghey Avenue, BHCC 102
Conway, AR 72035