|University of Central Arkansas|
|Conway, Arkansas, 30 miles north of Little Rock with a population of over57,000.|
|Purple and Gray|
|11,163 (Arkansas – 9,784 / Out of State – 754 / International – 625)|
Student to Faculty Ratio:
|17 to 1|
|Total degrees offered – 136 (80 Undergraduate, 14 Graduate Certificate,31 Master’s, 6 Specialist, and 5 Doctoral)|
Average ACT score (Fall 2011):
|23.2 (Arkansas average – 19.9)|
Tuition & Fees per Semester:
|Undergraduate (in-state/15 hours) - $3,591 (out of state -6,285).Graduate (in-state/9 hours) - $2,573 (out of state - $4,564).|
|Division 1, Southland conference with 7 men’s sports and 8 women’s sports|
The Arkansas State Legislature created The Arkansas State Normal School (now known as UCA) in 1907. The purpose of The Arkansas State Normal School was to properly train students to become professional teachers and rid Arkansas of haphazard schoolteachers. Classes began in 1908 with nine academic departments, one building on 80 acres, 107 students and seven faculty members. Two faculty members taught in two departments and President Doyne taught pedagogy and Latin.
In 1925, Arkansas State Normal School became known as Arkansas State Teachers College. The change in names accurately reflected the main program of instruction and mission of the institution. Arkansas State Teachers College was known for decades as the premier teacher training college in the State of Arkansas.
By 1967, the mission of Arkansas State Teachers College had changed. Though teacher training was still an important part of the institution’s mission, other fields began to expand in liberal arts studies and in the emerging field of health care. To recognize the institution’s existing academic diversity another name change was in order. In January 1967, Arkansas State Teachers College became State College of Arkansas.
President Silas Snow, who championed the name change in 1967, organized State College of Arkansas along university lines in preparation for still yet another name change. State College of Arkansas grew rapidly and offered an ever-widening range of degree programs. By January of 1975, Snow’s efforts were realized as the State Department of Higher Education recommended State College of Arkansas be known as The University of Central Arkansas (UCA).
Today, the University of Central Arkansas has more than 10,000 students, over 400 full time faculty, 75 undergraduate degree programs, 35 graduate programs, and 81 buildings on 301 acres of land. Situated conveniently in the geographic center of the State of Arkansas, UCA traditionally enrolls students from each of Arkansas’ 75 counties.
BARIDON HALL - 1940 First Baridon & 1992 Second Baridon
Named for Ida Baridon, the foster child of Asa Robinson, the founder of Conway. Ida was married to Jo Frauenthal, a Conway businessman who was influential in bringing UCA to Conway in 1907.
BERNARD HALL - 1939
Mary Augusta Bernard came to UCA in 1912 and was instructor of Drawing and Penmanship. She was later promoted to the rank of professor and head of the Department of Art. She held this position until her death in 1933.
BREWER-HEGEMAN - 2000
Brewer-Hegeman is named after two Chief Executive Officers of Conway Corporation, Jim Brewer and Bill Hegeman. James H. “Jim” Brewer served as Chief Executive Officer of Conway Corporation from 1965 to 1991. Brewer was succeeded by his longtime friend and assistant, William “Bill” Hegeman, who was Chief Executive Officer from 1991 to 1998.
BUFFALO ALUMNI HALL - 1995
Harvey A. Buffalo, a 1932 graduate of UCA, donated $250,000 to UCA to help with the purchase of Buffalo Alumni Hall. Buffalo had a long career in the U.S. Foreign Service. He later became an entrepreneur and investor after leaving the Foreign Service.
BURDICK BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION - 1973
Alger E. Burdick came to UCA in 1937 as an instructor in social studies. In 1947 he was named chairman of the Department of Geography. He became academic dean in 1954. The title of academic dean has been replaced by the current position of Provost. He retired from UCA in 1976.
CARMICHAEL HALL - 1968
Maude Carmichael began her teaching career at UCA in 1923 as associate professor of History. In 1925 she was promoted to full professor and received her Ph.D. from Radcliff College in 1935. Dr. Carmichael retired from the faculty of UCA in 1953.
ELIZABETH L. CHRISTIAN CAFETERIA - 1968
Christian Cafeteria is named for Elizabeth L. Christian. Ms. Christian came to UCA as an instructor in the Home Economics Department in 1920. She was promoted to associate professor in Home Economics and served in this capacity until 1930.
DENNEY HALL - 1962
Charles Crockett Denney, better known as C.C. Denney, came to UCA as professor of Education in 1911. Denney served as professor and head of the Department of Education until 1942.
DOYNE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER - 1913 First Doyne & 1975 Second Doyne
J.J.Doyne was UCA’s first president and first employee. His initial contract was for two-years with a salary of $2,500 per year. Doyne hired six faculty members his first year and also taught in the classroom. He resigned the presidency in March 1917.
FARRIS CENTER - 1972
The Farris Center is named for Jefferson Farris Sr., not Dr. Jefferson Farris Jr., the UCA President. Jeff Farris Sr. was the head of the Department of Health and Physical Education from 1943 until his death in February 1961. He was succeeded by his son, Dr. Jeff Farris Jr.
FERGUSON CHAPEL - 1965
Ferguson Chapel was named after Dr. W.C. Ferguson, Sr. Dr. Ferguson was UCA’s second dean of the college. He succeeded A.J. Meadors and served from 1942 until his death in 1954. This position has had various titles in recent years including Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost.
HARRIN HALL - 1929 Original Building & 1999 Major Renovation
Frank Hector Harrin is the man for whom Harrin Hall is named. He served in various capacities at UCA spanning a twenty-six year period. He came to UCA in 1915 and departed in 1943 to join Arkansas College in Batesville, Arkansas.
O.L. HUGHES HALL - 1968
Olin L. Hughes joined the UCA faculty in 1943 as assistant professor of Mathematics. He later became professor and chair of the Mathematics Department. He remained at UCA until 1969.
IRBY HALL - 1949 First Irby Hall & 1993 Second Irby Hall
Nolen M. Irby was UCA’s fourth president and succeeded the popular Colonel Heber L. McAlister. Dr. Irby also had a military background and was a captain during World War I. Irby was inaugurated as president on November 14, 1941, and remained president until July 1, 1953.
LANEY CHEMISTRY BUILDING - 1947 First Laney & 1994 Second Laney
Ben T. Laney was a 1924 graduate of UCA and was elected Governor of Arkansas in 1944. He is best known for creating the Revenue Stabilization Act. This act forbids the Arkansas Legislature from becoming involved in deficit spending. His gubernatorial papers are in the UCA Archives.
B.A. LEWIS SCIENCE CENTER - 1967
Dr. Lewis joined the faculty of UCA in 1943 as chairman of the Department of Education. He later was promoted to dean of Graduate Studies and remained in this position until he retired in 1972.
MASHBURN - 1974
Dr. J. Don Mashburn, an alumnus of UCA and a medical doctor from Silver Spring, Maryland, is married to the former Mary Lou Johnson, a graduate of UCA. Dr. and Mrs. Mashburn made a gift to UCA to be used for an endowed chair and an institute in education.
McALISTER HALL - 1934
One of UCA’s most popular presidents, Colonel Heber L. McAlister was a veteran of World War I and World War II. He became UCA’s third president on July 1, 1930 and continued to serve in this capacity until his army reserve unit was called up in 1941. McAlister was the senior officer of the 153rd Regiment and served in Alaska. He resigned the presidency on July 26, 1941.
McCASTLAIN HALL - 1939 original & 1963 addition
Orville Wright McCastlain of Holly Grove was a 1934 graduate of UCA and is a Monroe County farmer and businessman. He was a record-setting athlete while a student at UCA. Mr. McCastlain established a charitable lead trust that will greatly aid this institution.
MEADORS HALL - 1937
Andrew Jackson Meadors, better known as A.J., was UCA’s first Dean of the College. This position is known today as “Provost.” Meadors joined the faculty of UCA in 1909 and became dean in 1921. He served in this capacity until 1942.
MINTON HALL - 1958
Minton Hall is named for Hubert L. Minton. Dr. Minton came to UCA in 1924 and became the head of the geography department in 1927. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1937 and remained as head of the Geography Department until 1947. While serving as head of the geography department he also was director of extension and public relations.
DONALD W. REYNOLDS PERFORMANCE HALL - 2000
Donald W. Reynolds was a media mogul who owned more than 100 businesses in newspaper, radio, television, cable television and outdoor advertising. He founded the Donrey Media Group and created the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation. His foundation has donated huge sums of money to various organizations that has benefited millions of people.
STANLEY RUSS HALL - 2001
Stanley Russ Hall is named for State Senator Stanley Russ of Conway. Senator Russ, a Conway resident, represented Faulkner County and parts of neighboring counties during his twenty-six years in the Arkansas State Senate.
SCHICHTL - 1917 & 1992 Major Renovation
Marie Schichtl came to UCA in 1920 after receiving a two-year degree, the Licentiate of Instruction from UCA. She later earned a bachelor’s and master’s degree and became head of the Department of Art. She remained in this position until she retired from UCA in 1967. She is the longest serving employee of UCA with 47 years of service.
SHORT HALL - 1960
Gilbert Young Short was a student at UCA and received the Licentiate of Instruction in 1912. He came back to UCA in 1916 as a faculty member. In 1915 be came assistant registrar and continued to serve as registrar until his retirement from UCA in 1953.
SNOW FINE ARTS CENTER - 1968
Silas D. Snow has the distinction of being UCA’s longest serving president. He became president on October 29, 1953 and continued as president until June 30, 1975. Snow was a graduate of UCA and saw the institution through two name changes. When Snow was hired as president UCA was known as Arkansas State Teachers College. In 1967 the name was changed to State College of Arkansas. And in 1975 another name change occurred and the institution came to be known as The University of Central Arkansas.
WINFRED L. THOMPSON HALL - 2002
Dr. Win Thompson was UCA’s second longest serving president. His career at UCA began on April 1, 1988, and continued until December 2001. Dr. Thompson came to UCA from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville where he served as a Vice-president. Dr. Thompson is well known for his building and renovation programs at UCA that totaled 125 million dollars.
TORREYSON LIBRARY - 1963
Torreyson Library is named for Burr Walter Torreyson, UCA’s second president. Dr. Torreyson, known as B.W. Torreyson, was known as a strict disciplinarian with a good sense of humor. He took over as president from J.J. Doyne in 1917, and served until July 1, 1930. He was succeeded by Heber L. McAlister.
IDA WALDRAN AUDITORIUM - 1937
Miss Waldran was a member of the UCA’s first faculty in 1908. She was a member of the English department and also served as Dean of Women. Miss Waldran died on March 14, 1937. She was very well liked and popular member of the faculty.
WINGO HALL - 1934
Wingo Hall was named for Otis T. Wingo. Mr. Wingo was a native of DeQueen, Arkansas, and served the state as State Senator from 1907-1910. He was elected to the U.S. Congress as Representative from the Fourth District of Arkansas in 1913. He served in this capacity until his death in 1930. His wife filled his seat in Congress and was elected on her own to the 72nd Congress.
Wingo Hall was named for Otis T. Wingo. Mr. Wingo was born June 18, 1877 in Weakly County, Tennessee, but later resided in DeQueen, Arkansas. Mr. Wingo was an attorney, and he also served the state as State Senator from 1907-1910 and served UCA as a trustee from 1907-1910. He was elected to the U.S. Congress as Representative from the Fourth District of Arkansas in 1913. He served in this capacity until his death in on October 21st, 1930 in Baltimore, Maryland. He had two children; son-Otis T. Wingo Jr., and daughter-Janie Blanche Wingo. His wife, Emogene Locke Wingo filled his seat in Congress and was elected on her own to the 72nd Congress.
The football stadium is named after Guy “Big Dan” Estes, who taught mathematics at UCA and served as coach of men’s sports. Coach Estes continued as coach until 1933. He was a World War I veteran and died on November 13, 1944.