Do you wonder why people do the things they do? Are you fascinated by how people think, feel, and behave? The Psychology major at the University of Central Arkansas will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and experiences you need to understand the intricate processes behind human thought and behavior. UCA houses the largest psychology department in the state. Our program encourages scientific evaluation of psychological methods, empirical research, and independent study, through a comprehensive curriculum, including courses in: psychological statistics, research methods, sensation and perception, developmental psychology, cognitive psychology, abnormal psychology, and behavior modification. Our students are fully prepared for graduate work in psychology, social work, and counseling programs, or to pursue further training for careers in law, education, mental health services and other fields focused in human mental and behavioral processes.
As a Psychology major at UCA, youll have access to all of the distinct advantages that make the UCA experience special. Just a few of the benefits of our program include:
- Expert Faculty representing a wide range of specialties such as social psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology, learning, animal behavior, behavior analysis, etc. This leads to a high-quality program in which students have the opportunity to interact with professors from a variety of areas within psychology both in the classroom and through opportunities to assist faculty in on-going research projects. Our instructors are deeply committed to the success of their students and provide individual attention, vocational and graduate program mentoring, and community connections to leading professionals in the field.
- Hands-On Learning including undergraduate research projects with faculty and peers, which are often presented at regional conferences, such as the Arkansas Symposium for Psychology Students and the Southwestern Psychological Association. These projects offer students the opportunity to work closely with faculty and other professionals in the field on cutting-edge research, as well as the opportunity to present their findings in a scholarly setting to peers, faculty, and other psychologists, leading to the establishment of a network of professional contacts in the community. Students also have the unique opportunity to learn about animal behavior in our fully functioning animal lab and through studies in the field at places like the Little Rock Zoo and Riddles Elephant Farm.
- State-of-the-Art Technology as UCA is equipped with excellent lab facilities for research studies and classroom projects, with networked computers and multimedia projectors in each classroom. Faculty incorporate technology into their teaching, using PowerPoint, the Internet, and course websites; students are encouraged to understand and work with these instruments in their classes and research studies to develop the relevant skills for todays technology-rich environment.
- Professional Development through membership in UCA student organizations such as the Psychological Society and the award-winning chapter of the Psi Chi International Psychology Honor Society. They host a number of events and activities throughout the year to give students an opportunity to learn more about psychology and interact with their peers, professors, and innovators in the field.
- Employment Opportunities in a variety of fields, including human resources, personnel management, advertising and marketing, real estate, and mental health services. The mental health services job market is currently strong and projected to remain so in the future. Many of our students enter graduate programs to pursue careers in community counseling, school psychology, and counseling psychology.
To learn more about the exciting opportunities for personal and professional development available to you through the Psychology major at the University of Central Arkansas, visit http://uca.edu/psychology/programs/documents/undergraduate/description.php.