Are you interested in a healthcare career that provides you with the knowledge, skills, and experience you need to effectively prevent, recognize, treat, and rehabilitate musculoskeletal injuries and related medical conditions? Recognized by the American Medical Association as an allied health care profession, athletic trainers serve as a vital member of a health care team, in collaboration with physicians, for the prevention and optimal healing of medical conditions involving functional limitations and disabilities.
The University of Central Arkansas Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) is committed to mentoring professionals who will enhance the quality of health care for the physically active and advance the athletic training profession.
Our comprehensive curriculum encompasses:
- injury/illness prevention and health promotion
- human anatomy and physiology
- emergency care
- clinical assessment of injury/illness
- rehabilitation and therapeutic modalities
- psychosocial intervention and referral
- healthcare administration
Our program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE), ensuring the curriculum meets the highest standards in the discipline, and you will be favorably considered for employment opportunities, as well as graduate and professional schools. In fact, UCA students have a passing rate on the national Board of Certification exam (required in most states for licensure) that is consistently higher than the national average.
As an Athletic Training major at UCA, youll have access to all of the distinct advantages that make the UCA experience special. Just a few of the benefits our program offers include:
- Expert Faculty with diverse academic and professional credentials, as well as numerous accolades for their contributions to the profession and the community, such as service and outstanding assistantship awards from the National Athletic Trainers Association. Our instructors are deeply committed to the success of their students, providing individual attention and mentoring, vocational and graduate placement guidance, and promoting student involvement in professional organizations, such as the Central Arkansas Athletic Training Student Association (CAATSA), Arkansas Athletic Trainers Student Association (AATSA), Southwest Athletic Trainers Association (SWATA), and National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA).
- Hands-On Learning through opportunities such as: class projects, instructional laboratories, and applied clinical experience under the supervision of licensed, certified athletic trainers and other healthcare professionals. Students even have the opportunity to network and gain experience by providing medical coverage for the annual high school AAA All-star week. Our students are encouraged to participate in undergraduate research projects with peers or faculty. Many present their findings and participate in educational conferences, meetings, and workshops, including: the NATA iLEAD student leadership seminar, the Arkansas Athletic Trainers Association annual meeting, and the annual UCA departmental Student Research Symposium.
- Professional Development: ATEP students matriculate as a cohort throughout their degree, allowing for a community atmosphere and the development of life-long friendships and professional relationships. Our program also offers a unique general medical clinical rotation, for which the Medical Director for ATEP serves as lecturer and clinical instructor. This program gives students the opportunity to interact with numerous physicians and other healthcare professionals in five or more affiliated clinical sites and gain valuable field experience, a proven work record, and professional contacts.
- Employment Opportunities are available in a variety of settings, including working with professional sports teams, college and university athletic departments, high school athletic health programs, corporations and industrial settings, the US Military, physician extenders in hospitals, clinics, and orthopedic, family, and sports medicine practices, as well as professional dance and arts companies.
To learn more about the exciting opportunities for personal and professional development available to you through the Athletic Training major at the University of Central Arkansas, visit http://uca.edu/kped/athletictraining/index.php.